No one can argue that photography is true art. However, not everyone knows that behind sensual portraits or vivid landscapes, there is a lot of work. First, the photographer has to take unique shots, after that – to choose the best ones, and the final stage is post-processing. The last stage can be very complicated, which is why both beginners and professionals need the best software.
Today’s review is dedicated to the top photo editors worth paying attention to in 2023. Read carefully, because their developers have prepared a lot of useful features for you.
1. Luminar Neo
Many users consider this application as the main competitor to Photoshop and Lightroom. And no wonder, because often during the tests Luminar Neo vs. Lightroom the first one wins. Let’s take a look at the features this application has to offer users:
- Many extensions that make your work easy and comfortable (Upscale AI, Supersharp AI, Focus Stacking, Background Removal AI, Noiseless AI, and HDR Merge);
- Simple and user-friendly interface that will make the work comfortable not only for professional photographers but also for newbies;
- Huge selection of settings for each image, including Exposure, Smart Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Blacks & Whites, Curves, Color, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Optics;
- Lots of AI tools, such as Portrait Bokeh, Face AI, Skin AI, and Body AI.
Considering all of the above, it’s no surprise that this app wins the Luminar vs. Lightroom competition. And one of our other leaders, Photoshop, can be a huge competitor.
2. Adobe Lightroom
Well, of course, no rating can do without this software. And although the application is, in our subjective opinion, a little worse than the number one on our list, it is worthy of attention. Indeed, the software has a lot to offer to professional photographers:
- The ability to process photos in RAW format;
- Excellent organization of the workspace. For many photographers, it serves primarily as a photo management tool, allowing them to efficiently organize and navigate their image libraries. With this app, you can easily sort and filter images using a variety of criteria, such as tags, ratings, or metadata. This makes it a breeze to find specific photos or groups of photos based on any number of parameters. Here in the Lightroom vs. Luminar Neo competition, the former will definitely win;
- Unique presets make photos mesmerizing in just seconds.
You can also make wholesale changes to the pics. Just a couple of mouse clicks and you get a whole series of photos with exactly the same settings.
3. Adobe Photoshop
It is not just your average photo editing software. It offers a vast range of powerful tools that can transform your images into digital masterpieces. With this app, you have access to an impressive toolset that enables you to unleash your creative vision and bring your ideas to life. Whether you’re a professional artist or simply looking to add some artistic flair to your photos, its drawing and art tools offer endless possibilities for creative expression.
So what can the app offer users?
- Layer editing, which allows you to change only certain parts of the image without touching the rest of the composition;
- A rich set of drawing tools;
- Support for collaborative work in the cloud, making it very convenient to work on a project with a large team.
However, it was not without a minus here, either. The developers have removed the opportunity to buy a lifetime license, so users are only left with a subscription. And despite the huge number of features, many photographers are looking for an alternative because of this.
4. Capture One
It is a go-to choice for many photographers who want to edit RAW images with ease. This software offers an intuitive and user-friendly interface, making it easy to navigate and use for image editing. But don’t be fooled by its simplicity – the app has a full suite of powerful adjustment tools that can help you enhance your images to perfection:
- Non-destructive editing, allowing you to put everything back in place if you don’t like the result;
- Curve and level editors for professional-level color enhancements;
- Panorama stitching tool to create amazing pictures.
You can use keyboard shortcuts to quickly make specific adjustments to your photos, such as increasing or decreasing exposure, adjusting the contrast, or changing the color temperature. What’s more, you can customize these shortcuts to match your preferred editing style and workflow.
5. DxO Photolab 6
Well, the main plus of the new version of the application is non-destructive editing. And it really is, because if you don’t like the result, you can always go back to the beginning without losing the original picture. You can also compare it with what you’ve got. But the non-destructive editing doesn’t end there. The software can pleasantly surprise you with other features:
- You adjust exposure and contrast globally, but you can also fine-tune them locally to specific areas of the image. This level of control also extends to micro contrast, vibrancy, saturation, and other aspects, allowing photographers to achieve the desired look for their photos;
- A wide range of adjustment tools allows you to get a completely new picture;
- Presets allow you to quickly change the image.
A small disadvantage is a cluttered interface, which inexperienced users can be difficult to deal with.